7/12/09

Shiny!

“What do you reckon that makes us?”
“Big damn heroes sir.”
“Ain’t we just?” – Zoe and Mal, Firefly

So I’ve spent all weekend lying on the couch. Watching movies. Willing myself to get better.

And it’s worked. I can now swallow once again without wanting to cry, I can stand up without wincing and my body temperature is almost back to normal. Thank all that is holy for antibiotics and for a husband who was willing to drive my mom to meet my dad and take care of the kids all weekend. Who was willing to brave Target on a weekend for me.

Ok, enough chit chat. What I really want to babble on about for another 250 or so words is a little show called Firefly. This is a show that I quite simply adore and could watch over and over again. Stupid FOX cancelled this most excellent program after one short season, but I, of course, have the entire series on DVD. So I spent most of yesterday watching movies and all day today watching Firefly. And it really is Joss Whedon at his best in my opinion. He’s not taking himself too seriously. He’s not trying too hard to prove anything. He’s just writing characters that he loves and telling stories that make you laugh and root for the good guys who steal stuff.

Well. And there’s Nathan Fillion. Who can do no wrong in my eyes. Ever. Captain Mal Reynolds is without a doubt my most favorite character because at the end of the day he is a just a big old loyal teddy bear who you just don’t want to fuck with. And how can you not love that?

And most of the time the writing is just whip smart, crazy witty and stays in my head for days. I have to consciously remind myself not to say “Shiny!” all the time. And it makes me want to get a Chinese dictionary and slow down those parts so I can translate them. Even though I know they’re only the cuss parts, I still want to know.

It is just a gorgeously written flight of fancy that does a body good.

No comments: