7/22/09

Quote-able

I started my day by asking for people to send me quotes about life on my Facebook page and here are some of what I got:

“You never get away, you just get somewhere else.” - Unknown

“No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an unchartered land, or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." - Helen Keller

“I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than to be crowded on a velvet cushion.” – Thoreau

“I'd rather spend my time looking at the sky than listening to Whitney Houston." - Robert Smith

"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they're supposed to help you discover who you are.” - Unknown

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” - Maya Angelou

“We can't all be saints.” - John Dillinger

“There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” – Anais Nin

“…real life sucks losers dry. If you want to fuck with the eagles, you have to learn how to fly.”– Winona Ryder in Heathers

That’s a pretty good representation of how I feel about life in general actually now that I link them all together like that. Life takes courage, hope, a tremendous sense of humor, a willingness to daydream, a bit of tragedy and cynicism, topped off by a sweet dollop of pop culture wit. Yep. That just about sums up my world view.

And I think one thing I’m discovering on my staycation is that I’ve lost touch with some of these things a bit. The daily grind has just about ground my sense of humor to dust while the constant sense of emergency has brought my hope and daydreams to their knees. I’ve pretty much just been in survival mode. It’s hard to keep perspective in the midst of that.

But through the quiet and calm these past couple of days I actually caught myself thinking that one way or the other, everything will work out. It always does, why should now be any exception? I always am exactly where I should be.

No comments: