7/17/09

Baby Hankering

“A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.” – Groucho Marx

I found this quote today as I was trying to find some sort of inspiration to kick start my writing. And found that it actually got me thinking. That Groucho Marx man, he was a philosopher in sheep’s clothing he was.

When I was four years old, I asked my parents for a big brother for Christmas. It was at the top of my list and really, really important to me. I didn’t get it, of course. There are some things even Santa Claus can’t do. But I did, incidentally, get EVERYTHING else on my wish list that year. I spent much of my childhood hoping for siblings. Even though I knew they would never come. Even though I had surrogate siblings in the form of Brother J and Across the Alley T. My entire childhood is populated with these two friends; they truly were like siblings. Bickering and fighting, coming up with imaginary friends and games, embarking on backyard adventures to rival all. Such sweet memories. But at the end of the day, I came home alone.

So I always knew when it was time for me to become a mother myself, that I would definitely have more than one. And we do. And they are getting so big! The Boy asks me regularly for a little brother, which of course prompts The Girl to ask for a little sister. Which just makes my womb hurt. Because I want more. I have always wanted a big, unruly, boisterous family. Probably exactly because I am a resistant only child. And I have several friends who are having their first babies (J is due today!). One who is going to have their third. And being surrounded by all of this birth and anticipation just makes my womb hurt more.

These critters are expensive however. And getting pregnant while I am trying to go back to work is just about the worst timing ever. And The Girl is finally potty trained, which means no diapers for the first time in almost 6 years.

But man do I want another baby.

No comments: