7/21/09

7/20/09 - 5 year old Brain Scramble

***Sorry this is late, once again. Life keeps making me fall behind.***

I think The Boy assumed that I was getting bored what with my mom going home and no longer in my charge. What with The Girl being healthy. What with his infection under control and my strep being banished back to the rock under which it originated.

So in his boundless kindness, he decided to spice things up a bit by jumping off of a 6 foot slide and landing on his head yesterday. A very sweet co-worker of my husband’s offered to watch the kids for us so we could have a lunch and movie date, so I didn’t actually see it happen. When we picked him up he had a pretty big lump on his head, but he was asleep before I was out of the parking lot. When he awoke however, he was screaming and vomiting. So I called the doctor immediately and told them what was going on and only started to get worried when they started talking about calling 911. I told them that after our last experience that it would take me less time to get him to the ER myself than it would by calling an ambulance. So into the car we went. The Boy was completely white and out of it. And I was walking that recently well worn line between focus and hysteria.

We got to the hospital where The Boy promptly threw up in the waiting room at which point they hustled back to a room where we waited for someone to take him to get a CT scan. And then we waited and waited and waited for the results.

The good thing was that the more time went by the more he returned to himself; the more back into focus his little being came. The CT results came back normal, which was a huge relief. The diagnosis? A concussion. The treatment? Rest and don’t let him scramble his brain again for at least 6 months.

And me? I find myself with nothing else to do but laugh. I mean seriously, at this point what the hell else am I going to do? So I am laughing and breathing and wishing desperately for a vacation.

No comments: