3/21/09

Silent Retreat

Alright dear readers, I am out of here for the next week. I will be writing every day, but I’m going to visit my parents for a couple of days (who live in the middle of nowhere New Mexico) and then I’m going to a retreat (which is really in the middle of nowhere Utah). So I won’t have any access to the internet and I’m leaving my laptop at home.

So what I’m going to do is come back and post everything that I’ve written while I’ve been away. You’ll have a week’s worth of posts all at once, so hopefully that will make up for not having anything to read for the next week. Sorry about that. I was going to write ahead and then have a friend post every day for me while I was gone. But that felt less in the spirit of this project. I started this project so that I would be forced to write every day. So writing ahead seven days and then not writing at all for a week felt like cheating. So instead I’ll write every day but not post. Sort of a strange meet in the middle kind of thing.

The retreat I’m going to is a five day silent retreat at a retreat center that my mom has been going to for 20 years or so. She’s known the people who run it for years beyond that and they’ve essentially known me for my entire life. Or at least about me. I can count on one hand the number of times we’ve actually met.

And I am nervous. Not about being silent for 5 days, that will be a blessing. But nervous about trying to navigate life with several strangers in silence for 5 days. Living a life of meditation, yoga and contemplation that I don’t live on a day-to-day basis. I think the majority of the other people at the retreat probably do live this sort of life on a daily basis. So, I’m nervous. But know that will pass as I settle into a routine of sorts.

Anyway, I hope you all have a wonderful week and I will see you soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hope you're quietly enjoying yourself!