3/6/09

My Day

Today is one of those days when I’d much rather not write. When I would much rather curl up on the couch, vegetate and just zone out. But here I am. Writing. I can’t promise that it will be any good, but here I am writing nonetheless.

So since the most creative part of me is already laying like broccoli on the couch I’m just going to write about my day. After spending about 10 days toggling back and forth between The Boy and The Girl very, very nicely sharing the flu, I was pretty fried. So my husband took the day off to give me a day off and us all a long weekend.

Since I just finished reading The Watchmen, I decided to go see the movie while it was fresh in my mind. I have to admit that I really wasn’t expecting much. I mean, I knew that the effects would be great and possibly even the fight scenes. But I really was not expecting to watch the characters come to life on screen. I thought I’d probably see caricatures of the characters that I had gotten so involved with on the page.

And I am happy to say that I was wrong. The movie is mind-blowingly amazing. I’m not sure I breathed much or blinked my eyes through the entire 3 hour movie. It follows the storyline faithfully, except the ending which they alter in a very strange way. But the few changes did not anger me. The movie is seamless, effortless and gorgeous. It’s also riddled with sex and blood. In true tribute to the book.

Not to be overly dramatic or anything, but sitting there watching this movie, I felt the awe that I’m sure people felt when they first read The Watchmen when it was originally published in 1986. As if I was watching a genre change, elevate, to a whole new level.

I can’t really say much more at this point. It’s utterly overwhelming in almost every way and I need some time to digest it all. So, I’ll just boil it down to the most rudimentary thought - I loved it. Go see it. Right now.

No comments: