3/5/09

Boy Superhero

“The Girl and I made a deal, Mom. When it is my birthday she is going to get me a baby parrot. And when it’s her birthday I’m going to get her a baby sheep. We made a deal.” – The Boy

This is what I woke up to today. And despite the gigantic crink in my neck and the impending headache, I awoke giggling. I gotta tell you, that’s a lovely way to wake up.

I think that one of my most favorite things about the age that The Boy is moving into now is watching his imagination unfold. He concocts huge involved stories with Captain Rex and Batman in the center, mixing and mashing genres like nobody’s business. He defeats Lex Luthor with his light saber and pays homage to Darth Vader by waging vast battles against the Rebels. These grand dramas are usually peppered with dinosaurs and a smidgeon of other various superheroes. Ben 10 usually makes an appearance somewhere in there just in time to toggle between his many alien shapes and save the day.

And man alive does this boy love babies. Of all shapes, sizes and species. As is evidenced by his heartfelt request for a baby parrot for his birthday. Not to mention the fact that he’s been after me for a little brother for months now. I mean he does play baby with The Girl at times (he love to put her down for a nap) and he chases our puppy like nobody’s business trying to give her a bottle or change her diaper. But if there is a baby anywhere on his radar he makes a bee line to it cooing like a pro.

I don’t know if I’ve ever met a boy his age who can so easily move back and forth between such creative rough housing to complete nurturing and kindness. It amazes me actually. And it’s something that I hope he never lets go of. I hope he always has the ability to conquer the world in a single bound while also gently cradling those who are smaller and perhaps weaker than himself. That alone would qualify him as a superhero in my book.

No comments: