4/27/09

Interview Questions

I have the tiniest nibble on a job. I applied for a Grant Writing position (which I’ve been doing for 9 years) with a very young, but also very cool and successful organization. They are doing a lot of the community development/empowerment work that is so near and dear to my heart but with a green/technological focus, which is also very cool. The only problem is that I’m really pretty much a newbie when it comes to the green marketplace. I mean it’s a priority in my life to be sure and I’m trying to learn more all the time, but I just haven’t had the time to really research the whole wind/solar/nuclear/biofuel debates or how those debates are affecting our economy as a nation. I’m much more on the ground level with all of this. Figuring out first what we can do as a family to leave less of a foot print than I am well-versed in it as a social action issue.

So there is part of me saying I’ve no business pursuing this job. Then the other part of me, that knows how good I am and how quickly I learn, tells me to leave that bullshit thought process at the curb and just be who I am.

They sent me a first interview via an email questionnaire they’d like for me to fill out this morning. So that’s what I’ve been working on. And I’m taking a break because I’m stuck. Stuck on the first question – Please, tell us a bit about yourself. I hate that fucking question. I mean seriously, how am I supposed to answer it?! Do I tell them about myself on a personal level? Professional level only? A bit of both? How I came to be where I am today? My goals and aspirations? At least in a face to face interview I can clarify with them what they’re looking for before I open my big mouth, but with this I just have to take a swing for the fences and hope that they aren’t going to roll their eyes when they read it.

I think I’ll start with the last question and work my way up.

No comments: