8/9/09

8/8/09 - Lovely Friends

Holy headache Batman. The phone ringing woke me up this morning. Startled me awake because the room I was sleeping in was completely dark so I was shocked to see that it was already 9am. I bolted upright and got smacked with a nasty headache and the night before came rushing back to me as the pain settled in behind my eyes.

I got to hang out with some of my most favorite people last night and it was so fun that I was really sad to see them all leave. We ate amazing food, drank tasty beverages, chatted and caught up and laughed loudly. It was crazy to think that it’s been so long since I’ve seen any of them. At least 6 years with most if not longer for the rest. Since then we have almost all gotten married and had kids. We all have specially requested dishes we bring to potluck get togethers. We look at our watches and gasp when it’s 10:30pm. We trade stories about what goofy things our kids have done lately instead of what goofy escapades we had the weekend before.

It was amazing for me to see how thoroughly everyone’s lives have changed, including my own, and yet how we all still fit together. I’m embarrassed to say that I think I underestimated my friendships with these lovely people. I think I thought that after that many years; surely there would be awkward moments, perhaps a touch of bitterness at the distance or length of time. At the very least a grace period to get reacquainted. But there was none of that. We still all fit together as if there was never any distance or length of time. And I am so completely grateful for that fact that it brings tears to my eyes. I love these people. And apparently they love me back. They are all just as excited as I am about the prospect of us moving back.

The only missing piece was my husband who sadly had to work. But he can rest assured that we toasted him from afar and his name was never far from the conversation. We all love him too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ok honey this entry brought tears to my eyes also because as I read it I realize how much of you is still in NE where the earth lends you energy, clarity and your friends provide you with support, honesty (kindly) and you all know how real the relationships are....you never write about friends in the Sprngs this way, ya know??? Heart energy for success in this adventure coming your way.