6/16/09

Anniversary

Today is our 8th anniversary, and it has me predictably thinking about our wedding.

I’ve only just recently learned that I was a bridezilla. I seriously had no idea (other than one stress induced and unfortunate fight with G). In fact, I thought I was being pretty laid back about the whole thing given that I was planning it long distance and really had no idea what I was doing. I mean one of my bridesmaids had to remind me to order the dresses because it was getting so close. We didn’t have a rehearsal, just a dinner with open bar. We always kind of treated the ceremony like an afterthought, the reception afterwards was so much more important to us. For me, I knew it was one of the only times in my life when I would get just about every single person I loved under the same roof. And in the end that was what was most important to me. The majority of the wedding party all stayed at different hotels across town, and I wonder if my reaction to that is what qualified me as a bridezilla. Because I was pretty crabby about it. I mean every single person had to travel to our wedding (us included) and I just wanted us all to spend the weekend hanging out. It was the people who were most important to me. I planned a big wedding because it was expected, not because I was especially tied into the favors or pictures or anything else really.

Other than getting ridiculously drunk at the reception, the thing that stands out the most for me was how it felt to wake up the next morning. I didn’t really expect to feel any different. I mean we had already been together for 2 ½ years, living together and inseparable since our first month of dating for the most part. But I did. Radically different in fact. I felt like I could do anything. I felt like I could take on the whole world and whatever it had in store for me. I have never felt that strong or certain about anything. All because G was by my side.

No comments: