2/8/10

2/7/10 - Happy Superbowl Sunday!

Superbowl Sunday baby!!! For my own personal football fandom, it’s the apex of football. Well at least this year it is. Which is a little disorienting after so many years of not only not caring much about the teams, but also having the game be such a boring blow out that I paid more attention to the French onion dip than the TV. But it’s been a Manning triple play the last few years (with some Big Ben thrown in for good measure), which I am super stoked about.

The Indianapolis Colts are my team. I love them. And have for several years now. I adore Peyton Manning and definitely think he is the best quarterback in the league right now. And the Colts are in the Superbowl for the second time in three years this year (and his little brother Eli stuck it to the Patriots a couple of years ago in a game that seriously made my day – put that in your pipe and smoke it stupid Brady!).

Several weeks ago I said, “Wouldn’t it be a great game if the Superbowl was the Colts and the Saints?” Well I got my wish. And my nightmare. Because honestly, I think the Saints are just about the only team that could beat the Colts (when they are playing as well as they have been). They are consistent (mostly) and they have passion in spades for their team and their city. They play football not only because they love it and make lots and lots of money, but because they feel like they owe it to the city of New Orleans to play as well as they absolutely can. And that’s pretty cool.

Unless of course they are facing MY team that has maddeningly decided to play conservatively (yes, I’m talking to you Coach Caldwell!!), make really poor decisions in play calling and clock management and give the whole effing game away when it was just within their reach (can you hear me screaming?).

I’m thrilled that the Saints finally won a Superbowl, they played their asses off this year and they deserve it. I just wish it wasn’t at the expense of my Colts.

No comments: